from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or fact of being synchronous or simultaneous; synchronism.
- n. Coincidence of events that seem to be meaningfully related, conceived in Jungian theory as an explanatory principle on the same order as causality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being synchronous or simultaneous.
- n. Coincidences that seem to be meaningfully related; supposedly the result of "universal forces".
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Synchronism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the relation that exists when things occur at the same time
Jung used the word synchronicity for ‘meaningful coincidence,’ which he said was a concept possible only because an observer and connected event are products of the same source.
It was not until May 1930 that he invented the term synchronicity
As a consequence of this experience, Jung coined the word "synchronicity" to explain these inexplicable occurrences.
Carl Jung coined the word "synchronicity" to refer to the "meaningful coincidences" of your life and mine.
Our blog/life synchronicity is starting to get weird, pal.
The motivations seem to be much the same — no compromise and constant war has become the national identity and this appears to have occurred in synchronicity with the US over the last thirty years, but certainly over the last 10.
I swear, I didn't plan to be doing this on H.P. Lovecraft's birthday, but the synchronicity is wonderful.
I don't believe in synchronicity, but I did have to look twice when I read this story from the Buffalo News about the upcoming film "The Savages" which is being shot in Buffalo and Niagara Falls.
Worth noting that Jeff Jarvis used the same phrase just a day before I posted mine -- synchronicity is easy to find online, if you look for it.
Breathing in synchronicity with her, Lee pulled back slightly to stare down at Kara.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.