from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. The people of a town.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The people who live in a town, especially the lower and middle classes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The people of a town; especially, the inhabitants of a city, in distinction from country people; townspeople.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. People of a town or city; people who live in towns.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the people living in a municipality smaller than a city
Sorry, no etymologies found.