from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The principal team representing a university, college, or school in sports, games, or other competitions.
- n. Chiefly British A university.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. university
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Colloquial contraction of university.
- n. the team with the best players of a school or club, being the main representative of the organization in competitive play between schools or organizations. In schools, contrasted with
junior varsity. Also used attributively, .
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A reduction of univarsity for university: used in English universities, and affected to some extent in American colleges.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a team representing a college or university
- n. a British abbreviation of `university'; usually refers to Oxford University or Cambridge University
Shortening and alteration of university.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration of university (Wiktionary)