American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The principal team representing a university, college, or school in sports, games, or other competitions.
- n. Chiefly British A university.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A reduction of univarsity for university: used in English universities, and affected to some extent in American colleges.
- n. university
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Brit. Colloquial contraction of university.
- n. the team with the best players of a school or club, being the main representative of the organization in competitive play between schools or organizations. In schools, contrasted with
junior varsity. Also used attributively, .
- n. a team representing a college or university
- n. a British abbreviation of `university'; usually refers to Oxford University or Cambridge University
- Alteration of university (Wiktionary)
- Shortening and alteration of university. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The contest between Dean and Gephardt is what I call the varsity contest for first place.”
“I have to wonder if one reason that Iowa has such a high percentage of HS participation in varsity sports is because the average school size is smaller with all the small towns.”
“In HuffPost Hill's opinion, the video would have been much more effective had it been cast as a 50s sci-fi/horror movie trailer (footage of clean-cut jocks in varsity jackets driving their 57 Chevys away from some oncoming terror, cutting away to a pretty girl in a poodle skirt and a bowtie in her hair to answer the phone and hear the words "THE ARAB-AMERICANS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE YOUR HOUSE," etc).”
“PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Carolina Panthers proved something during a long night that featured almost no starters and plenty of not-so-good football: Their junior varsity is better than that of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”
“Walker had competed in varsity athletics in Kentucky as a freshman before transferring to North College Hill and enrolling as an eighth-grader.”
“Three-letter man in varsity athletics in high school and college.”
“In high school he participated in varsity basketball and baseball and sang in the boy's chorus and quartet.”
“A chance to be on the floor with the varsity was his burning desire.”
“I have what one would call a varsity team, JV, and C team.”
“Moving up to the varsity was a big adjustment for any player; practices were harder, the travel was tiring, and the public attention unfamiliar.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘varsity’.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for varsity.