from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The horse in a team that follows the leader and is harnessed nearest the front wheels.
- n. A diligent, dependable worker, especially in a political organization.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of the horses nearest to the wheels, as opposed to a leader, or forward horse; -- called also wheeler.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A horse harnessed next to the fore wheel of a vehicle—that is, attached to the pole or shafts—as in a four-in-hand or a tandem; hence, figuratively, a person who bears the brunt, or on whom the burden mostly rests.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a draft horse harnessed behind others and nearest the wheels of a vehicle
Sorry, no etymologies found.