American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The horse in a team that follows the leader and is harnessed nearest the front wheels.
- n. A diligent, dependable worker, especially in a political organization.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A horse harnessed next to the fore wheel of a vehicle—that is, attached to the pole or shafts—as in a four-in-hand or a tandem; hence, figuratively, a person who bears the brunt, or on whom the burden mostly rests.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. one of the horses nearest to the wheels, as opposed to a leader, or forward horse; -- called also
- n. a draft horse harnessed behind others and nearest the wheels of a vehicle
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘wheel horse’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for wheel horse.