from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. commonly; generally; to a great degree
- adv. separated by a large distance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a wide manner; to a wide degree or extent; far; extensively.
- adv. Very much; to a great degree or extent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In or to a wide degree or extent; extensively; far and wide: as, a man who is widely known.
- Very much; very; greatly; extremely: as, two widely different accounts of an affair.
- So as to leave a wide space: at a distance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. so as to leave much space or distance between
- adv. to a great degree
- adv. to or over a great extent or range; far
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Suggesting that he neither expects, nor wants, unchecked sway over the city council, Mr. Emanuel said it "can't be a rubber stamp"—a term widely associated with the Daley style of governance.
Power brokers - a term widely used in Afghanistan - refers to Afghans who leverage their political and business connections to advance their own interests.
Power brokers - a term widely used in Afghanistan - refer to Afghans who leverage their political and business connections to advance their own interests.
But neither in France nor in England was the term widely used in the nineteenth century.
We have no fear expressing this, said Khamenei, using the phrase widely used by Iran's leader to describe Israel.
"A national survey of history and geography teachers showed that only 15 percent of them had problems teaching about the Shoah," Singer said, using the Hebrew word widely used in French for the Nazi massacre of six million Jews.
Islanders, who spoke a dialect of this stock, and is a term widely known among the Indians of this family.
` Median price 'is a term widely used in virtually all commentary and analysis of property markets but what exactly does it mean?
: 'Compactified' is actually a term widely used in physics.
"Monkey wrenching" is a term widely used by activists associated with ELF/ALF and anarchist groups to refer to direct-action attacks that involve property destruction such as arson.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.