from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Whether desired or not: After her boss fell sick, she willy-nilly found herself directing the project.
- adv. Without order or plan; haphazardly.
- adj. Being or occurring whether desired or not: willy-nilly cooperation.
- adj. Disordered; haphazard: willy-nilly zoning laws.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Whether desired or not.
- adv. Without regard for consequences or the will of those affected.
- adv. Seemingly at random, haphazardly
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Will he or will he not; will ye or will ye not; willing or unwilling. See nill, will
- Vacillating; shilly-shallying.
- Also nilly-willy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. without having a choice
- adv. in a random manner
Alteration of will ye (or he), nill ye (or he), be you (or he) willing, be you (or he) unwilling.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Originally ‘will he, nill he’ or ‘will ye, nill ye’, meaning ‘be he willing, be he unwilling’; see will, nill. (Wiktionary)