from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang One who uses subterfuge, private influence, or underhand means to reach a goal.
- n. One who pulls wires or strings, as of puppets.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who pulls the wires, as of a puppet; hence, one who uses secret influence (i.e. pulls wires or strings) for his own ends; an intriguer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who pulls the wires, as of a puppet.
- n. Hence One who operates by secret means; one who exercises a powerful but secret influence; an intriguer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one who uses secret influence (i.e. pulls wires or strings) for his own ends
Sorry, no etymologies found.