from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Anatomy Any of the muscular elastic tubes that form a branching system and that carry blood away from the heart to the cells, tissues, and organs of the body.
- noun A major route of transportation into which local routes flow.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To supply with arteries; figuratively, to traverse like arteries.
- noun The trachea or windpipe.
- noun One of a system of cylindrical, membranous, elastic, and muscular vessels or tubes, which convey the blood from the heart to all parts of the body by ramifications which as they proceed diminish in size and increase in number, and terminate in minute capillaries which unite the ends of the arteries with the beginnings of the veins.
- noun A main channel in any ramifying system of communication, as in drainage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete The trachea or windpipe.
- noun (Anat.) One of the vessels or tubes which carry either venous or arterial blood from the heart. They have tricker and more muscular walls than veins, and are connected with them by capillaries.
- noun Hence: Any continuous or ramified channel of communication.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
efferent blood vesselfrom the heart, conveying blood away from the heart regardless of oxygenation status; see pulmonary artery.
- noun A major
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a major thoroughfare that bears important traffic
- noun a blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the body
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The chief artery conveying blood to the lungs is the _pulmonary artery_.
_innominate_, as anatomists name a certain bone the _innominate bone_, and a certain artery the _innominate artery_.
This latter point is critical to the DOT, since Atlantic Avenue is a main artery to downtown Brooklyn.
Halfway through, it was revealed that the left arm had no blood flow to it: the main artery was a knot in the mushy bicep.
The city's vibrant and sizable Latino community has its main artery on 26th Street, which is already papered in red-and-blue "Luis Gutierrez for Mayor" signs, even though this nine-term congressman has yet to commit to the race.
For example, doctors have been taught for many years that an open artery is always better than a closed one.
Traffic on this main artery was disrupted for hours.
Hit an eye or penetrate through the skin into an artery is serious and can be instantly fatal.
When the heart squeezes, the left ventricle (the lower left chamber) contracts, pushing blood out into the aorta, the main artery that takes blood to the body.
The aorta is the main artery that carries oxygenated blood out of the heart to the body.