from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
- n. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
- n. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
- n. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who creates art.
- n. A person who creates art as an occupation.
- n. A person who is skilled at some activity.
- adj. Artistic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who practices some mechanic art or craft; an artisan.
- n. One who professes and practices an art in which science and taste preside over the manual execution.
- n. One who shows trained skill or rare taste in any manual art or occupation.
- n. An artful person; a schemer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person of especial skill or ability in any field; one who is highly accomplished; especially, one versed in the liberal arts.
- n. One skilled in a trade; one who is master of a manual art; a good workman in any trade: as, a tonsorial artist.
- n. One who practises any one, or any branch, of the fine arts; specifically, a painter or a sculptor.
- n. A member of one of the histrionic professions, as an actor, a tenor, or a dancer.
- n. In universities, a student in the faculty of arts.
- n. One who practises artifice; a trickster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination
You can select from two other preset expressions, or input your own variation such as \$artist - $album\, or any combination of the variables $artist, $album, and $ignore.
Not only can TagScanner clean up the artist, album, song title, and track number information for your digital music files, it can rename your songs based on a pattern you define like %artist% - %title%, it can make music playlists, and search online databases like freedb and Amazon to automatically tag music missing information.
Woman or artist -- there's no word so naked and empty to me as just _artist_ ---- "
I will use her term "artist and muse," which they each were for each other.
Some people probably object to me using the term artist about such a lowly profession.
The main artist is Karl Kerschl, whose style leans away from what Douglas Wolk calls the "default style of the superhero mainstream" toward a half-cartoony look.
I think the word artist is overused in the entertainment community.
The word artist tends to be over-used when describing popular musicians, but it seems apt for Polly Jean Harvey, such is her creative ambition and fierce focus on the integrity of her work.
FRAN GALLUN, Features collage, multimedia works and prints by the title artist, who explores her everyday surroundings through a geometric perspective.
HATAIIA, Features the title artist's bold photographs of curvaceous women in the nude.