from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Chiefly British A small enclosed field or pasture near a house.
  • n. Chiefly British A small farm, especially a tenant farm.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A fenced piece of land, especially in Scotland, usually small and arable and used for small-scale food production and usually with a crofter's dwelling thereon.
  • n. A carafe.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small, inclosed field, adjoining a house; a small farm.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To bleach (linen) after bucking or soaking in an alkaline dye, by exposing to the sun and air.
  • n. A small piece of inclosed ground used for pasture, tillage, or other purposes; any small tract of land; a very small farm: applied especially to the small farms on the western coast and islands of Scotland.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a small farm worked by a crofter


Middle English, from Old English.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • This word was used in "The Three Lives Of Thomasina" movie.

    August 28, 2012