from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that dines: midnight diners enjoying the meal after the theater.
- n. See dining car.
- n. A small, usually inexpensive restaurant with a long counter and booths and housed in a building designed to resemble a dining car.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Agent noun of dine; one who dines; one who eats a meal, especially dinner.
- n. A small and inexpensive type of restaurant which is modelled to resemble a dining car.
- n. A railroad dining car.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who dines.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person eating a meal (especially in a restaurant)
- n. a restaurant that resembles a dining car
- n. a passenger car where food is served in transit
And my husband and I, who follow all the conventional coffee ideas, have a secret love at least it was secret until now for what we call diner coffee, which you get from diners and cheap restaurants.
Just beyond the diner is the New Empress movie theater, and on Saturday afternoons you will see a group of kids lined up outside waiting to go in and see a Western, some cartoons, and a chapter in the Buck Rogers weekly serial.
Such behavior might make sense when a diner is willing to put up with a mediocre meal at a crowded chain restaurant to avoid the risk of food poisoning at a quirky neighborhood joint.
The expansive menu found at the typical American diner is great and all, but only because we all know what is on it (breakfast, sandwiches, burgers, cheap meat).
Check out this retro-cool Twilight Zone bobblehead nicked from the William Shatner "fortune teller in diner" episode. [via Super Punch]
Elaine was incensed that a certain diner featured only big-breasted waitresses -- until she discovered that all the women were the owner's daughters.
Which means, yes, people are willing to drive to three different Denny's just to get a coupon for a free chain diner breakfast.
Other than that, she considered pulling into the old drive-in diner and picking up a chocolate malt.
He didn't know who he was dealing with; this diner is infamous for snobbery.
Along with Taam Tov, the almost 60 year old diner is one of the most well known of the hidden gems in the diamond district, and it will be missed.