from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To come or send forth, as from a source: light that emanated from a lamp; a stove that emanated a steady heat. See Synonyms at stem1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To come from a source; stem out of
- v. To send or give out; manifest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To issue forth from a source; to flow out from more or less constantly.
- intransitive v. To proceed from, as a source or fountain; to take origin; to arise, to originate.
- adj. Issuing forth; emanant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To flow out or issue; proceed, as from a source or origin; come or go forth: used chiefly of intangible things: as, light emanates from the sun; fragrance emanates from flowers; power emanates from the people.
- To send or give out; manifest.
- Issuing out; emanant. Southey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. proceed or issue forth, as from a source
- v. give out (breath or an odor)
Stay tuned as ever-sleazier attacks on Richard Colvin emanate from the PMO.
How nice it is to hear a voice of sanity and intelligence emanate from the Republican party.
BLOGS, major television and radio networks and media personalities are promoting and propagating anger, fear and hatred; they sell the fear that the U.S. is in emanate danger from a totalitarian nightmare posed by an attack by liberals upon their fundamental rights.
A candidate resembling Hitler is highly likely to emanate from the Republican party.
A personality of smallness and egotism and petty underhandedness seemed to emanate from the letters themselves.
And keep in mind, it no longer has to emanate from the federal government.
The central tension of her work, and what has made it such a success, is that her ideas, launched at women who desire to gain or maintain position in the middle-middle class, emanate from the sort of person who gives that group the deepest and most reflexive shudder of all: pee-on-the-side-of-the-road white trash.
On the matter of “grand hypocrisy”: Given the predominance of the Left in the universities, it is no surprise that most calls for ousting obnoxious faculty emanate from the Right and are targeted at faculty associated with the Left.
I think one of the big things that might emanate from the zone that would disturb Washington would be Porn, in particular interracial porn.
These desires emanate from the unconscious and must therefore be distorted and disguised in order to make it past the censor, a kind of night watchman of the mind who regulates levels of excitation and revelation.