from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sudden outbreak of flame or light: a flare-up of the embers.
- n. An outburst or eruption: a flare-up of anger.
- n. A recurrence or an intensification: a flare-up of rheumatism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sudden outbreak, outburst or eruption (originally of flame, but now used more generally of any violent activity)
- n. A sudden intensification in activity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sudden burst of anger or passion; an angry dispute.
- n. A sudden bursting into flame; a flaring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sudden flashing or flaring of flame or light.
- n. A sudden quarrel or angry argument.
- n. Nautical, a distinguishing light exhibited as a signal by a pilot vessel, or a signal flare to a vessel which is overtaking another vessel, used as a warning to the ship coming up from astern.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sudden intense happening
- v. ignite quickly and suddenly, especially after having died down
- v. erupt or intensify suddenly
The episode is the latest flare-up of tension between the companies over issues including Yahoo's unwillingness to sell back its stake to Alibaba Group and Yahoo's frustration over the management of its brand in China.
The student had sought me out to ask whether, as the Martin Peretz Professor of Yiddish Literature, I might offer an opinion on the flare-up.
Another minicrisis, such as a repeat of the spring's flare-up of sovereign-debt worries in Europe, also could cause corporate bonds to suffer.
TOKYO — Japan, which is embroiled in a thorny territorial spat with China, may be facing the flare-up of a long-simmering dispute with another neighbor and former military foe: Russia.
U.S. government securities have generally tracked the price of oil since the flare-up in Libya, traders said.
The flare-up underscores how any progress in talks over the North's nuclear program could be derailed by armed confrontation.
The flare-up comes amid incremental progress in dialogue between the Koreas and between Pyongyang and the U.S. over North Korea's nuclear program.
The Egyptian diplomacy was aimed at ending the worst flare-up across the Israel-Gaza border since April.
Her trip was a week after a major flare-up/attack, so I informed her about things and left the decision up to her.
The flare-up began with a bid last week by Sunni leaders in Diyala province to win more autonomy from Baghdad through a referendum.