from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion: "The old, rather shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic” ( John Galsworthy).
- adj. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Arousing pity, sympathy, or compassion.
- adj. Arousing scornful pity or contempt, often due to miserable inadequacy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Expressing or showing anger; passionate.
- adj. Affecting or moving the tender emotions, esp. pity or grief; full of pathos.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Expressing or showing passion; passionate.
- Full of pathos; affecting or moving the feelings; exciting pity, sorrow, grief, or other tender emotion; affecting: as, a pathetic song or discourse; pathetic expostulation.
- In anatomy, trochlear: in designation of or reference to the fourth crania1 nerve.
- n. A trochlear or pathetic nerve; a patheticus.
- Trochlear: in reference to the superior oblique muscle.
- n. Same as patheticus, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. inspiring mixed contempt and pity
- adj. inspiring scornful pity
- adj. deserving or inciting pity
I mean, the security guard who actually finally spotted her, heard what he called a pathetic little whimper.
What's pathetic is that so many well-meaning young Portlanders buy his line of hype.
I'd call it pathetic, but it's probably better to reserve that term for Anita Kumar's behavior in the press room at the most recent Virginia Governor's debate ...
What's pathetic is how the republicans are continuously able to get away with spreading lies and misinformation.
Still scaring the old people – how pathetic is that?
He claims he named his anti-HCR bill after Paul Revere. mary lacewing, just how pathetic is that?
In time, I achieved a certain pathetic proficiency; I mastered a Bourrée by Bach, a couple of simple pop songs, and found myself a mate.
C'mon, just how pathetic is this unionist response to Scotland finally waking up and asserting herself?
When you go back and look at the Sonyia Sotomayor situation, the Republicans blasted the pick before they even knew who it was going to be, how pathetic is that .....
Even in my dreams I can't get anything right -- how pathetic is that?