from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Variant of phony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. 1900 Fraudulent; fake; having a misleading appearance.
- n. A person who assumes an identity or quality other than their own.
- n. A person who professes beliefs or opinions that they do not hold.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. imitating something superior; intended to deceive; fraudulent; having a misleading appearance; not genuine; counterfeit; fake.
- adj. pretending to be other than one is; putting on false appearances; insincere; hypocritical; -- of people.
- n. something or someone that is phony.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives
- adj. fraudulent; having a misleading appearance
Stray too far into condemning what he called 'phoney human rights concerns' and Cameron will damage his claim to be a different kind of Tory.
Daily Mail says the cut and thrust that used to characterise elections has all but disappeared in what it calls a phoney, heavily stage-managed contest.
What this means is that we need to expose what I call the phoney anti-capitalism of environmentalists and anti-globalisationists.
Their love affair with this hypocritical phoney is sickening.
PS To my good buddy sro, before you try and correct someone on their spelling you might want to actually make sure you are putting that big ol foot of yours in your mouth, phoney is a perfectly acceptable spelling of the word so please put your 'advice' where the sun don't shine, but please have a pleasant day.
The Movement, as well as being anti-phoney, is anti-wet; sceptical, robust, ironic, prepared to be as comfortable as possible.
If you would all form yourselves into a circle and affect an expression of phoney empathetic concern, I have a confession.
Ever since the Challenger had disappeared, with the chairman of the Tal Shiar on board, the Romulan border had been in a state that used to be called a phoney war, just waiting for someone to shoot for real.
Can we just thru the melodramatic intro and call a phoney a bullshit artist?
While UNESCO has firmly shorn of its association with the contest, which many leading historians and citizens 'groups have called phoney, for the Agra folks it is a matter of pride.