from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling the physical or orbital characteristics of a planet or the planets.
- adj. Of or relating to the earth; terrestrial or earthly: measured the planetary tilt in degrees.
- adj. Of or affecting the entire world; global: a planetary consensus.
- adj. Wandering; erratic: a planetary life.
- adj. Being or relating to a gear train consisting of a central gear with an internal ring gear and one or more pinions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to planets, or the orbital motion of planets.
- adj. Of, or relating to the Earth; terrestrial.
- adj. Of, or relating to the whole Earth; global.
- adj. epicyclic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the planets
- adj. Consisting of planets.
- adj. Under the dominion or influence of a planet.
- adj. Caused by planets.
- adj. Having the nature of a planet; erratic; revolving; wandering.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a planet or the planets; consisting of planets: as, planetary motions; planetary inhabitants; the planetary system.
- Having the character attributed to a planet; erratic or wandering.
- In astrology, under the dominion or influence of a planet; produced by or under the influence of planets.
- n. An abbreviation of planetary nebula. See nebula.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the planet Earth or its inhabitants
- adj. of or relating to or resembling the physical or orbital characteristics of a planet or the planets
- adj. having no fixed course
- adj. involving the entire earth; not limited or provincial in scope
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Al Gore says everyone should worry about what he calls a planetary emergency.
He said he was accepting it on behalf of everyone trying to make a difference on what he calls a planetary emergency.
He's urging lawmakers right now to act and to act fast to avoid what he calls a planetary emergency.
Since losing the 2000 presidential race, Gore has spent much of his time traveling the world and lecturing about what he calls a planetary emergency.
He has also discovered a species of them, which he calls planetary nebulæ, on account of their brightness, and shining with a well defined disk.
Such events are called "planetary transits" and most of what we know about the sizes of planets outside the Solar System comes from such transit events.
Some of the most bizarre stuff you will ever see in planetary science is associated with ITAR.
Terraforming, or altering the atmosphere of Mars to make it habitable for humans, via planetary engineering processes, is still being discussed in planetary circles and is the seed to more current discussions of planetary or geo-engineering to reduce the impacts of global warming on our planet.
No believer thinks God must interfere in planetary motion or motion of any other kind to effect outcomes.
On climate change: sections of the New Left are leading calls for more fundamental changes in order to achieve long-term planetary sustainability.