from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Very severe.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Very severe, or in some way extreme, as if it were likely to cause something to split: as, a splitting headache.
- Very rapid.
- noun An act denoted by the verb ‘split’; specifically, in harvesting tobacco, the cleaving of the stalk nearly to the base, with the purpose of ‘hanging,’ i.e. placing it astride a stick for curing: practised with heavy export tobacco. For other methods see
pegging, 6, and spearing, 1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An instance where something
- noun psychology A
divisionin the mind, or affecting one's sense of self.
- noun chemistry The
cleavageof a covalent bond.
- adjective Resembling the
soundof something being split or ripped.
- verb Present participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective resembling a sound of violent tearing as of something ripped apart or lightning splitting a tree
Sorry, no etymologies found.
One often hears the term splitting the baby used to describe the actions of a judge or arbitrator who has reconciled opposing positions by what is better described as splitting the difference.
Instead he is taking the same approach as the Democrats in splitting people up into groups.
And for those who haven't been following along, Heidi Klum already announced she's splitting from the lingerie brand and won't walk in this year's show.
But since splitting from the Liberal Party six years ago, his star has only risen.
In 2008 (after splitting from a major label himself) Mr. Reznor released a new 10-track album for free online with the statement, "This one's on me."
` ` Talk about an unselfish play and a great play in splitting the defense like he did.
Not only have you succeeded in splitting the Democratic party but not you have seniors against youth.
There is no “justice” in splitting seats between Democrats and Republicans simply for the sake of split seats.
Water splitting is a complex chemical reaction that takes place in leaves, algae, phytoplankton, and other green organisms.
The “majority of the majority” was not interested in splitting the difference.