from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make strong or increase the strength of.
- intransitive v. To become strong or stronger.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make strong or stronger; to add strength to; to increase the strength of; to fortify; to reinforce.
- v. To animate; to give moral strength to; to encourage; to fix in resolution; to hearten.
- v. To augment; to improve; to intensify.
- v. To grow strong or stronger.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To grow strong or stronger.
- transitive v. To make strong or stronger; to add strength to.
- transitive v. To animate; to encourage; to fix in resolution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make strong or stronger; add strength to, either physical, legal, or moral; confirm; establish: as, to strengthen a limb; to strengthen an obligation; to strengthen a claim; to strengthen authority.
- Synonyms To invigorate, fortify, brace, nerve, steel, corroborate, support, heighten.
- To grow strong or stronger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. gain strength
- v. give a healthy elasticity to
- v. make strong or stronger
These changes and conditions are meant to enhance this event and in the long-term strengthen all our businesses, by reinforcing our identity as a destination of choice.
Mr. Liveris said the new terms strengthen his company's financial position compared with late last year, when the collapse of a joint venture with Kuwait left Dow without $9 billion it had planned to use to help pay for Rohm & Haas.
Duration and repetition strengthen a karmic pattern.
Just like my cast will help heal my torn ligaments, so shall the uncorralled and violent expression strengthen the cause.
New Hampshire primary , his opponents tried to use the phrase to strengthen their depiction of Romney as a corporate predator who sought profits at the expense of workers.
"China's interest rate hike is making the dollar strengthen, which is also causing the real to depreciate."
One area that we are trying to strengthen is to transition more YCLers into the Communist Party.
Wonder what they are made of, since the narrator said they had to "strengthen" them?
More often than not, separations do not "strengthen" a marriage; they, unfortunately, just provide opportunities to grow further apart.
By running off to Argentina to continue his affair when he and his wife, according to her, separated to "strengthen" their marriage? she forgives him?