from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make or become wide or wider.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To become wide or wider.
- v. To make wide or wider.
- v. To let out clothes to a larger size.
- v. To broaden or extend in scope or range.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make wide or wider; to extend in breadth; to increase the width of
- intransitive v. To grow wide or wider; to enlarge; to spread; to extend.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make wide or wider; extend in breadth; expand: as, to widen a street.
- To throw open.
- In knitting, to make larger by increasing the number of stitches: opposed to narrow.
- To grow wide or wider; enlarge; extend itself; expand; broaden.
- In knitting, to increase the number of stitches: as, to widen at the third row.
- Widely; wide.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. extend in scope or range or area
- v. make (clothes) larger
- v. make wider
- v. become broader or wider or more extensive
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In comparing losses, use the term widen or narrow rather than increase or decrease.
In short, widen the deficit now and shrink it more later.
The common theory is that when yield spreads widen, which is when the so-called yield curve steepens, it suggests investors are optimistic about the strength of the economy.
Toyota pedal maker CTS thrust into spotlight as recalls widen
They've created sort of a trench around him to kind of widen this gap so that the rescue workers can get whatever kind of equipment as well as the personnel down there to get him.
In fact, I would generally harry, hassle and hound them until they give up or leave the country. my emphasis obviouslyThese powers already exist to some extent note Blair's use of the word "widen".
The purpose of the altar was to further "widen" that same little slot that was initially opened up by life.
When asked if there is any big changes based on previous games, Director Yasunori Ichinose is quick to point out that MHP 3rd is not based on MHP 2ndG as the game is being redone almost entirely, with upgrades to monsters 'actions and graphics which' widen 'the entire presentation.
Other INA MPs are trying to "widen" the circule of the "plot" to include Al-Hashemi saying that the reason behind his visit to the U.S. is to cancel
Lastly, spreads are said to 'widen' as risk, and the gap between bond yields, increases, and 'narrow' when risk reduces.