from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several small wasps of the family Vespidae that have yellow and black markings and nest in the ground, in trees, or in buildings.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Any one of several species of true social wasps or hornets of the genus Vespa, which have the body more or less marked with yellow; any hornet, as V. crabro. See cut under
- noun In Australia, any one of several species of trees having a smooth, yellow bark, especially the yellow box, Eucalyptus melliodora, and the river gum, Eucalyptus rostrata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun small yellow-marked social wasp commonly nesting in the ground
- noun a barbiturate (trade name Nembutal) used as a sedative and hypnotic and antispasmodic
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.