from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various sedative narcotics containing opium or one or more of its natural or synthetic derivatives.
- noun A drug, hormone, or other chemical substance having sedative or narcotic effects similar to those containing opium or its derivatives.
- noun Something that dulls the senses and induces relaxation or torpor.
- adjective Containing opium or any of its derivatives.
- adjective Resembling opium or its derivatives in activity.
- adjective Inducing sleep or sedation; soporific.
- adjective Causing dullness or apathy; deadening.
- transitive verb To subject to the action of an opiate.
- transitive verb To dull or deaden as if with a narcotic drug.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Furnished with opium; mixed or prepared with opium; hence, inducing sleep; soporiferous; somniferous; narcotic; causing rest or inaction.
- noun Any medicine that contains opium and has the quality of inducing sleep or repose; a narcotic; hence, anything which induces rest or inaction, or relieves uneasiness or irritation, mental or bodily; anything that dulls sensation, mental or physical.
- To lull to sleep; ply with opiates.
- To dull the effect of upon the mind, as by an opiate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb rare To subject to the influence of an opiate; to put to sleep.
- adjective Inducing sleep; somniferous; narcotic; hence, anodyne; causing rest, dullness, or inaction.
- noun Originally, a medicine of a thicker consistency than sirup, prepared with opium.
- noun Any medicine that contains opium, and has the quality of inducing sleep or repose; a narcotic.
- noun Anything which induces rest or inaction; that which quiets uneasiness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Relating to, resembling, or containing
Soporific; inducing sleepor sedation.
Deadening; causing apathyor dullness.
- noun A
drug, hormoneor other substancederived from or related to opium.
- noun Something that dulls the
sensesand inducesa falseand unrealisticsense of contentment.
- verb transitive To treat with an opiate drug.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a narcotic drug that contains opium or an opium derivative
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English, from Medieval Latin opiātum, from Latin opium, opium; see opium.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.