from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Absent without leave.
- n. One who is absent without leave.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Absent without leave (permission).
- n. Absence without proper authority from the properly appointed place of duty, or from unit, organization, or other place of duty at which one is required to be at the time prescribed.
- n. A person who holds AWOL status.
- n. Somebody who is absent without permission.
- n. Someone or something missing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one who is away or absent without leave
- adj. absent without permission
Acronym used in the United States military: “Absent WithOut Leave”. (Wiktionary)