American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A devotional prayer at morning, noon, and night to commemorate the Annunciation.
- n. Roman Catholic Church A bell rung as a call to recite this prayer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church: A devotion in memory of the annunciation to the Virgin Mary, by the angel Gabriel, of the incarnation of the Son of God. It consists of three scriptural texts describing the mystery, recited alternately with the angelic salutation, “Hail Mary!” (Ave Maria), and followed by a versicle and response with prayer.
- n. A male given name, a rare variant of Angelo.
- n. A Christian devotion in memory of the Incarnation (from its incipit, "Angelus Domini nuntiavit Mariæ": "the Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary").
- n. The bell rung as a call to prayer during the Angelus service.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A form of devotion in which three Ave Marias are repeated. It is said at morning, noon, and evening, at the sound of a bell.
- n. The Angelus bell.
- n. a prayer said 3 times a day by Roman Catholics in memory of the Annunciation
- n. the sound of a bell rung in Roman Catholic churches to announce the time when the Angelus should be recited
- Medieval Latin, from Late Latin, angel (first word of the devotion); see angel. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And then there's Buffy, where Angelus is one of my favorite characters but hell no do I not want to be watching a TV with him as the main character.”
“Isaac Angelus is composed, in three books, by the senator Nicetas,”
“TR: Paige, L’Angelus is made up of you, your sister Katie, and your brothers Johnny and Stephen.”
“The Angelus is apparently the Universe’s opposing reaction to The Darkness, and it has chosen a mentally unstable host named Celestine.”
“Set way back in the days when Angel was a treacherous, evil vampire known as Angelus, who arrives in Geneva, Switzerland in search of members of an infamous family.”
“This was followed by the Williams Horn Concerto, which consists of five movements like his bassoon concerto, entitled Angelus, That Battle of the Trees, Pastorale, The Hunt, and Nocturne.”
“That's -- the Angelus is a prayer that Catholics say around noon.”
“Of course, this is Sunday, a traditional day when the pope delivers his Angelus, which is a prayer and a message to pilgrims and devoted people around the world.”
“II., in the council of Clermont, in 1095, ordered the bell to be rung every day for the triple Angelical Salutation, called Angelus Domini, at morning, noon, and night.”
“The Angelus is a prayer giving a brief history of the Incarnation.”
Looking for tweets for Angelus.