American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Athens, Greece, or its people.
- n. A citizen of Athens, Greece.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Athens, anciently the metropolis of Attica in Greece, and now the capital of the kingdom of Greece.
- n. A native or citizen of Athens.
- n. An inhabitant, resident, or citizen of Athens, Greece
- adj. Of or pertaining to Athens, Greece
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Greek goddess Athena
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Athens, the metropolis of Greece.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Athens or its inhabitants
- n. a resident of Athens
“Two millennia earlier, Aspasia, a female philosopher and courtesan, and a central figure in Athenian life, plied her wits, allure, and influence with equal determination, standing with Perikles at the center of vehement opposition to his vision of building the most exquisite monuments the world had ever seen.”
“The Egestaeans are referring to the Athenian operations in Sicily in 427-26 which Thucydides describes in 3.86, 3.88, 3.90, 3.99, 3.103, and 3.115-16.”
“We are prone to forget that, had every slave been given equal voice and vote in Athenian affairs, the culture of the Athenians would have presented quite another and unremarkable spectacle.”
“You need to go to a place called the Athenian Room on Webster.”
“In December, the company chartered a very large crude carrier, or VLCC, called the Athenian Success to store as much as 2.2 million barrels in the Mediterranean Sea, according to shipbrokers and traders in Singapore and London.”
“Bob Sykes writes of “the so-called Athenian democracy was an oligarchy of rich, well-educated men””
“The point is, the so-called Athenian democracy was an oligarchy of rich, well-educated men.”
“We strolled a few blocks to a restaurant in the Pike Street Market called the Athenian Inn.”
“The Cretan and Lacedaemonian hardly contribute at all to the argument of which the Athenian is the expounder; they only supply information when asked about the institutions of their respective countries.”
“Herodotus calls the Athenian fleet “the salvation of Greece,” but the Greeks did not know that yet on the day after the battle of Salamis.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Athenian’.
Looking for tweets for Athenian.