American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An informal, unannounced, or abrupt departure.
- n. A sudden or unannounced departure, or one taken without permission.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. an informal, hasty, or secret departure; esp., the leaving a place without paying one's debts.
- n. See under French.
- n. an abrupt and unannounced departure (without saying farewell)
- From the 18th-century French custom of leaving without saying goodbye to the host or hostess. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘French leave’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for French leave.