from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Sami.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An indigenous person from Lapland. One of the Sami people.
- n. The language of the Lapp peoples.
- adj. From Lapland or of the Lapp peoples
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as laplander. Cf. lapps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the race from which Lapland takes its name, but which forms only a portion of its population.
- n. An abbreviation of Lappish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of an indigenous nomadic people living in northern Scandinavia and herding reindeer
- n. the language of nomadic Lapps in northern Scandinavia and the Kola Peninsula
Swedish, from Old Swedish lapper, piece, perhaps of Finnish origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Swedish lapp. This in turn originally possibly an extension of the meaning "patch" (in reference to poorness), or from Finnish lape ("periphery") (in reference to geography). (Wiktionary)