American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See Sami.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the race from which Lapland takes its name, but which forms only a portion of its population. The Lapps are an inferior branch of the Finnic race, physically dwarfish and weak, and low in the scale of civilization.
- n. An abbreviation of Lappish.
- n. countable An indigenous person from Lapland. One of the Sami people.
- n. uncountable The language of the Lapp peoples.
- adj. From Lapland or of the Lapp peoples
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a member of an indigenous nomadic people living in northern Scandinavia and herding reindeer
- n. the language of nomadic Lapps in northern Scandinavia and the Kola Peninsula
- From Swedish lapp. This in turn originally possibly an extension of the meaning "patch" (in reference to poorness), or from Finnish lape ("periphery") (in reference to geography). (Wiktionary)
- Swedish, from Old Swedish lapper, piece, perhaps of Finnish origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Of course he knew that his ancestors had lived in Lapland for hundreds of years; but before he went to the Djurgård that day with Birger and Gerda, he had never heard himself called a Lapp in derision.”
“There is some great mystery of mythology, as yet unsolved, regarding the origin of the Edda and its relations with the faiths and folk-lore of the elder Shamanic beliefs, such as Lapp, Finn, Samoyed, Eskimo, and”
“Lapp shamans, too, fasted in anticipation of making a sacrifice.”
“Ali Lapp, a former Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee official who runs the House Majority PAC, said last year's heavy spending by Republican groups and the GOP takeover of the House was a wake-up call for Democrats "that we couldn't fight with one hand behind our backs.”
“Readers may remember that this is the same competition in which managing editor Jordan Lapp took first place for the third quarter of 2008.”
“I learnt traditional Sami (Lapp) methods for preparing reindeer hides, and picked up forest beliefs and customs from people who've lived there for generations.”
“Ali Lapp, who runs the House Majority PAC, said the fund-raising event will help Democrats as they attempt to pick up 25 seats to regain the majority in the House.”
“It was incredible to stand on top of that peak and think that Birkeland had spent a winter (often braving atrocious weather conditions) with this breath-taking view stretching north to the Arctic Sea and south to the mountain plateau that is the winter home of the Sabme (Lapp) reindeer herders.”
“In a Summer of 2007, in suitability with a agreement between Buffalo Rapids Board of Control as well as Dave Schwarz, a pickup was used to lift Deb Schwarzs mobile kitchen to a Lapp wedding.”
“Our objective is to help the Democrats win back the House, said Alixandria Lapp, executive director of the House Majority PAC.”
Looking for tweets for Lapp.