from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of Scandinavia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
- adj. Of or relating to a human physical type exemplified by the tall, narrow-headed, light-skinned, blond-haired peoples of Scandinavia. Not in scientific use.
- adj. Sports Of or relating to ski competition featuring ski jumping and cross-country racing.
- n. A person of the Nordic physical type.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the Nordic countries.
- adj. Of or relating to the light colouring and tall stature of Nordic peoples.
- adj. Of or relating to the family of North Germanic languages.
- adj. Of or relating to cross-country skiing or ski jumping. (Compare alpine.)
- n. A person of Nordic descent or having features typical of Nordic people.
- n. A race of extraterrestrials similar in appearance to Nordic humans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. of or pertaining to the inhabitants of Scandinavia.
- adj. Relating to Germany and Scandinavia.
- adj. Resembling the peoples of Scandinavia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anthropology, of or pertaining to the type of man inhabiting northwestern Europe and characterized by tall stature, blond hair, blue eyes, and elongated head. Also called Teutonic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to Germany and Scandinavia
- adj. resembling peoples of Scandinavia
- adj. of or relating to or constituting the Scandinavian group of languages
- n. the northern family of Germanic languages that are spoken in Scandinavia and Iceland
Professor Carleton S. Coon, in a book on anthropology, just off the press, called "The Races of Europe" says that the word "Nordic" is the most famous word in anthropology.
Over the last 15 years the cracks have become ever more obvious in Nordic co-operation: it has been downgraded to cover soft policy issues such as culture, while economics and other hard policy has been transferred to the European level.
Two moves impact U.S. gold, silver in Nordic combined
Spillane did hold on for silver, the USA's first medal ever in Nordic combined.
Two moves impact U.S. gold, silver in Nordic combined - USATODAY. com
U.S. men's team pockets first medal in Nordic combined
U.S. men's team pockets first medal in Nordic combined - USATODAY. com
USA focuses on medal in Nordic combined team event
USA focuses on medal in Nordic combined team event - USATODAY. com
Olympic medal in Nordic combined at the Vancouver Games won't take an extraordinary effort.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.