American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A burrowing mammal (Orycteropus afer) of southern Africa, having a stocky, hairy body, large ears, a long tubular snout, and powerful digging claws.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The ground-hog or earth-pig of South Africa. See Orycteropus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) An edentate mammal, of the genus Orycteropus (Orycteropus afer), somewhat resembling a pig, common in some parts of Southern Africa. It is a nocturnal ungulate, burrows in the ground with its powerful claws, and feeds entirely on ants and termites, which it catches with its long, extensile, slimy tongue. It is the sole extant representative of the order Tubulidentata.
- n. nocturnal burrowing mammal of the grasslands of Africa that feeds on termites; sole extant representative of the order Tubulidentata
- From Afrikaans aardvarken (obsolete), erdvark, from Afrikaans aarde ("earth"), (from Dutch, from Middle Dutch aerde) + Afrikaans vark ("pig"), (from Middle Dutch varken ("pig")).Early European colonists in South Africa noticed that the animal was similar to a pig, while "aarde" hints at the animal's habit of burrowing. (Wiktionary)
- Obsolete Afrikaans : aarde, earth (from Middle Dutch aerde; see er-2 in Indo-European roots) + vark, pig (from Middle Dutch varken; see porko- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Look, anyone older than eight who admits to an affection for an animated aardvark is one cool kid.”
“I think the aardvark is pretty much on target: Sunstein chooses to use the phrase to represent a collection of ideas that are being discussed by conservatives, not that they actually use it themselves.”
“When the Boers first saw a strange animal in South Africa, they called it aardvark, a Dutch word for ` earth pig. ”
“He's the kid who taught a world of youngsters how to spell "aardvark" - and that's not all.”
“(Type 'tag' to change that topic, 'cancel', or 'more' for options.) me: tag aardvark: (Type 'tag:' followed by any word or phrase to categorize this question.) me: tag: blogging aardvark: Thanks very much!”
“What fascinates me most about this is that you now have a tag for "aardvark”
“Funny thing, from the dictionary first page right now, that "aardvark" springs to my mind.”
“Posted February 8, 2005 9: 05 AM arbitrary aardvark writes:”
“A giant ridiculous dog and his aardvark in the snow:”
“But some quick numbers-crunching showed the most likely overdue books among young borrowers are Marc Tolon Brown 's "Arthur" series, about the antics of an aardvark, and Alyssa Satin Capucilli's "Biscuit" series, which centers on a rambunctious puppy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aardvark’.
Words in which the second letter is A
aa gets over 40 hits
aardvark 49 hits
abbatoir 103 hits
abjure 138 hits
Words that are fun to say....
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2465 more...
My Favourite Kind
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
Looking for tweets for aardvark.