from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the infraclass Eutheria, a division of mammals to which all the placental mammals belong.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. belonging or pertaining to the group Eutheria, comprising the mammals more closely related to animals like humans and rodents than to marsupials.
- n. a eutherian animal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having characters found in the Eutheria, or placental mammals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or belonging to the subclass Eutheria
- n. mammals having a placenta; all mammals except monotremes and marsupials
Molecular and morphological supertrees for eutherian (placental) mammals.
The mouse is relatively distant both from humans (another eutherian) and opossum (a marsupial).
CZ: Ref: Lillegraven 1987 The origin of eutherian mammals
Langer P (2008) The phases of maternal investment in eutherian mammals.
Gaillard J-M, Pontier D, Allaine D, Loison A, Herve J-C, et al. (1997) Variation in growth form and precocity at birth in eutherian mammals.
Derrickson EM (1992) Comparative reproductive strategies of altricial and precocial eutherian mammals.
Placental invasiveness and brain-body allometry in eutherian mammals Cholesterol metabolism in the central nervous system during early development and in the mature animal
Moffett A, Loke C (2006) Immunology of placentation in eutherian mammals.
page 153: Eomaia scansoria, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences (CAGS), redrawn from Qiang Ji, Zhe-Xi Luo, Chong-Xi Yuan, John R. Wible, Jian-Ping Zhang and Justin A. Georgi, ‘The earliest known eutherian mammal’, Nature 416 (25 April 2002), 816–22.
For example, it appears that endogenous retroviruses are responsible for creating a barrier to the mother’s immune system in the placenta which protects the embryo in eutherian mammals.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.