American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Biology Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen: aerobic bacteria.
- adj. Biology Of or relating to aerobes.
- adj. Involving or improving oxygen consumption by the body: aerobic exercise.
- adj. Relating to or used in aerobics: aerobic shoes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as aërobian.
- adj. Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen e.g. aerobic bacteria.
- adj. Involving or improving oxygen consumption by the body e.g. aerobic exercise.
- adj. Of, or relating to aerobics.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Biol.) Growing or thriving only in the presence of oxygen; also, pertaining to, or induced by, aërobies.
- adj. based on or using the principles of aerobics; enhancing respiratory and circulatory efficiency
- adj. depending on free oxygen or air
- French aérobie, coined in 1863 by Louis Pasteur, from Ancient Greek ἀήρ (aēr, "air") + βίος (bios, "life") + -ic. (Wiktionary)
“Some readers will be familiar with the term aerobic.”
“You have cardiovascular exercise, which we describe as aerobic exercise, which increases your body's capacity to process oxygen.”
“Dr. Kenneth Cooper and Col. Pauline Potts coined the term aerobic exercise in the 1960's.”
“I wonder if they actually have to lower their BMI to pass the course, or if simply participating in aerobic dance and other activities is enough to earn a credit.”
“Other studies on people who participate in aerobic activities show that they have a tendency to secrete more growth hormones at night, which aids in repairing and rejuvenating the body.”
“Therefore, the body begins to utilize structural and functional proteins during long-term aerobic exercise.”
“And who wouldn’t want to see Linda Hamilton back in aerobic top fitness form as Sarah Connor?”
“Cardio exercise usually refers to aerobic activity, such as running and swimming, but any exercise that significantly raises your heart rate and keeps it there could be described as cardio.”
“When the tide is out, bacteria that use oxygen, called aerobic bacteria, can breathe and flourish.”
“The most effective fitness regimens include exercises that address three primary areas of fitness: functional fitness, cardiovascular also known as aerobic fitness, and strength.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aerobic’.
Looking for tweets for aerobic.