from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Biology Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen: aerobic bacteria.
- adj. Biology Of or relating to aerobes.
- adj. Involving or improving oxygen consumption by the body: aerobic exercise.
- adj. Relating to or used in aerobics: aerobic shoes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen e.g. aerobic bacteria.
- adj. Involving or improving oxygen consumption by the body e.g. aerobic exercise.
- adj. Of, or relating to aerobics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Growing or thriving only in the presence of oxygen; also, pertaining to, or induced by, aërobies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as aërobian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. based on or using the principles of aerobics; enhancing respiratory and circulatory efficiency
- adj. depending on free oxygen or air
French aérobie, coined in 1863 by Louis Pasteur, from Ancient Greek ἀήρ (aēr, "air") + βίος (bios, "life") + -ic. (Wiktionary)