from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any member of the alkane series.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane and compounds with long carbon chain known as paraffins etc., having a chemical formula of the form CnH2n+2.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a non-aromatic saturated acyclic hydrocarbon with the general formula CnH(2n+2). A member of the alkane series.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hydrocarbon, CnH2n+2, of the marsh-gas or methane series: official name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a series of non-aromatic saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2)
alk(yl) + -ane.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
alkyl + -ane. (Wiktionary)