American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The univalent, unsaturated organic radical C3H5.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An organic radical, C3H5, which does not exist in the free state. At the moment of its liberation two molecules combine to form diallyl, C6H10, a pungent ethereal liquid. Also spelled
- n. organic chemistry An organic radical, CH2=CH-CH2-, existing especially in oils of garlic and mustard.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) An organic radical, C3H5, existing especially in oils of garlic and mustard.
- n. the univalent unsaturated organic radical C3H5; derived from propylene
- Latin allium, garlic + -yl (so called because it was first obtained from garlic). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Some scientists believe the components in onions and garlic called allyl sulfides and bioflavonoids may be key to the research observations of generally lower incidence of cancer and heart disease in people who consume large amounts of garlic and onions, compared with those who eat less.”
“When consumed, garlic leaves a compound called allyl methyl sulfide in the mouth.”
“They possess alike the same properties and characteristics, though in varying degrees, and they severally belong to the genus _Allium_, each containing "allyl," which is a radical rich in sulphur.”
“These days eyeglass lenses are generally made from lightweight plastics called allyl diglycol carbonate.”
“The team had participants eat six grams of raw garlic and then tested not only for this VSC but others as well, including allyl mercaptan, methanethiol, allyl methyl disulfide and allyl disulfide.”
“The allyl methyl sulfide and its related molecules combine with saliva and are exhaled for hours after consumption.”
“Mostly allyl methyl sulfide, which is a volatile sulfur compound VSC.”
“It is thought that the allyl sulfur compounds present in garlic prevents cancer by slowing or preventing the growth of the cancer tumor cells.”
“Pungent foods such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, onions, spices, coffee and chocolate, Profet says, nauseate some pregnant women because they contain compounds, such as allyl isothiocyanate in cabbage, that can interfere with fetal-organ formation.”
“They suppress growth of tumor cells and bring about apoptosis, or natural cell death (cancer cells find ways to stop this process); allyl sulfides also promote excretion of cancer causing chemicals.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘allyl’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for allyl.