from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fleet of warships.
- n. A large group of moving things: an armada of ants crossing the lawn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fleet of warships, especially with reference to the Spanish Armada.
- n. Any large army or fleet of military vessels.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fleet of armed ships; a squadron. Specifically, the Spanish fleet which was sent to assail England, a. d. 1558.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fleet of war-ships; a squadron.
- n. A single war-ship.
- n. Any armed force; an army.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large fleet
Spanish, from Medieval Latin armāta; see army.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish armada fleet or navy, from Latin armāta (Wiktionary)