American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Nautical A large merchant ship.
- n. Nautical A fleet of ships.
- n. A rich source or supply: an argosy of adventure lore.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large merchant vessel, especially one carrying a rich freight. Furthermore, how acceptable a thing this may be to the Ragusyes, Hulks. Caravels, and other foreign rich laden ships passing within or by any of the sea-limits of Her M.'s royalty.
- n. A fleet of ships.
- n. A merchant ship.
- n. A merchant flotilla, fleet.
- n. Popular anglicism of the Argonautika of Apollonios Rhodios.
- n. A collection of lore.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A large ship, esp. a merchant vessel of the largest size.
- n. one or more large merchant ships
- Alteration of Italian ragusea ("a large ship"), after the maritime city of Ragusa, now Dubrovnik. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of obsolete ragusye, from Italian ragusea, vessel of Ragusa (Dubrovnik). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Mediterranean and from them is derived the word "argosy," signifying”
“A broadening of meaning and another shift in spelling gave us "argosy," denoting any merchant vessel or rich store.”
“Looking at the first sense of "argosy," you might assume that this word is a close relative of "argonaut," but that isn't the case.”
“By degrees, smoke began to issue from the sides of the great Grecian argosy, and the voice of Tancred announced to his soldiers that the”
“The well-known captain of an East Indian vessel lately arrived from Britain was sedulously polite to her; and two or three gentlemen, whom Hartley knew to be engaged in trade, tended upon her as they would have done upon the safety of a rich argosy.”
“Fastidiously the draught which we did thirst for; A rusted nail, placed near the faithful compass, Will sway it from the truth, and wreck the argosy.”
“Is that a star? or the lamp that gleams On some outward voyaging argosy, -”
“Date: April 14, 2007 6: 24 AM produces high how to play slots online periods without casino birth control argosy della Victoria grande shreveport 13 ng phentermine central var r = document. referrer; document. write ( '')”
“Date: April 14, 2007 11: 24 AM kidney impairment sexy virgin girls data on Levitra free bingo of online argosy della Victoria grande shreveport care zoloft caution when driving var r = document. referrer; document. write ( '')”
“Do not eloans com sexually transmitted phendimetrazine heard cialis corticosteroids argosy della Victoria grande shreveport side var r = document. referrer; document. write ( '')”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘argosy’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
Words that have been words of the day that are pretty good words.
Words from Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian"
If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together
Go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat.
how many words can I make mine this summer?
R. Peter Jackson's list
Interesting words and usages.
Looking for tweets for argosy.