from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The nest in which a bird lays eggs and hatches her young.
- n. The nest of a small swallow (Collocalia nidifica and several allied species), of China and the neighboring countries, which is mixed with soups.
- n. An orchideous plant with matted roots, of the genus Neottia (Neottia nidus-avis).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name popularly given to several plants, from some suggestion of a bird's nest in their form or manner of growth.
- n. Same as crow's-nest.
- n. plural An article of commerce between Java and China, consisting of the gelatinous brackets which the swifts of the family Cypselidæ and genus Collocalia attach to cliffs, and on which they build their nests.
- To search for birds' nests or their eggs: as to go birds'-nesting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nest where birds lay their eggs and hatch their young
Sorry, no etymologies found.