from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An animal, such as a leech, that sucks blood.
- n. An extortionist or a blackmailer.
- n. A person who is intrusively or overly dependent upon another; a parasite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who drinks the blood of others, especially by sucking blood through a puncture wound; a hemovore.
- n. By extension, any parasite.
- n. By extension, one who attempts to take as much from others as possible.
- n. A vampire.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any animal that sucks blood; esp., the leech (Hirudo medicinalis), and related species.
- n. One who sheds blood; a cruel, bloodthirsty man; one guilty of bloodshed; a murderer.
- n. A hard and exacting master, landlord, or money lender; an extortioner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any animal that sucks blood, as a leech, a mosquito, etc.
- n. A name of a common agamoid East Indian lizard, Calotes versicolor, perhaps so called from the reddish hue of the throat, as it does not suck blood.
- n. A cruel or bloodthirsty man; hence, one who sucks the blood of or preys upon another; an extortioner; a sponger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. carnivorous or bloodsucking aquatic or terrestrial worms typically having a sucker at each end
Sorry, no etymologies found.