from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person with artistic or literary interests who disregards conventional standards of behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an unconventional or nonconformist artist or writer.
- adj. unconventional, especially in habit or dress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Bohemia, or to the language of its ancient inhabitants or their descendants. See bohemian, n., 2.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a social gypsy or “Bohemian” (see Bohemian, n., 3); vagabond; unconventional; free and easy.
- n. A native of Bohemia.
- n. The language of the Czechs (the ancient inhabitants of Bohemia), the richest and most developed of the dialects of the Slavic family.
- n. A restless vagabond; -- originally, an idle stroller or gypsy (as in France) thought to have come from Bohemia; in later times often applied to an adventurer in art or literature, of irregular, unconventional habits, questionable tastes, or free morals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Bohemia, a crownland and kingdom of the Austrian empire.
- n. A follower of John Huss; a Hussite.
- n. A gipsy.
- n. A person, especially an artist or a literary man, who leads a free and often somewhat dissipated life, having little regard to what society he frequents, and despising conventionalities generally.
- n. The ancient tongue of Bohemia, a member of the Slavic branch of the Aryan family.
- Of or pertaining to Bohemia or its language.
- Of or pertaining to, or characteristic of, the so-called Bohemians; unconventional; free from social restraints: as, a Bohemian life.
- In ornithology, erratic; wandering; irregularly migratory; of unsettled habits.
- n. As employed by the French geologists, the later deposits of Silurian time, from the fine development of these strata in the Bohemian basin: equivalent to Upper Silurian or to Silurian in its restricted sense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a nonconformist writer or artist who lives an unconventional life
- adj. of or relating to Bohemia or its language or people
- adj. unconventional in especially appearance and behavior
- n. a member of a people with dark skin and hair who speak Romany and who traditionally live by seasonal work and fortunetelling; they are believed to have originated in northern India but now are living on all continents (but mostly in Europe, North Africa, and North America)
- n. a native or inhabitant of Bohemia in the Czech Republic
French bohémien, from Bohême, Bohemia (from the unconventional lifestyle of Gypsies, erroneously supposed to have come from there).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French bohémien ("person from Bohemia, Romani"), from Bohême ("Bohemia"); compare gypsy ("Romani"), from Egypt. (Wiktionary)