from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A special election held between general elections to fill a vacancy, as for a parliamentary seat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a special election held to fill a political office that has become vacant between general elections.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An election held by itself, not at the time of a general election.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Great Britain, an election held to fill a vacancy in Parliament.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a special election between regular elections
Sorry, no etymologies found.