from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a 100-year period.
- adj. Occurring once every 100 years.
- n. A 100-year period.
- n. A centennial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or completing a period of 100 years.
- n. A one hundredth anniversary
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or consisting of, a hundred.
- adj. Occurring once in every hundred years; centennial.
- n. The aggregate of a hundred single things; specifically, a century.
- n. A commemoration or celebration of an event which occurred a hundred years before.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or consisting of a hundred; relating to a period of a hundred years; recurring once in every hundred years: as, a centenary festival or celebration.
- n. pl. centenaries (-riz).
- n. The space of a hundred years.
- n. What I call by this name has grown up in the last centenary — a word I may use to signify the hundred years now ending. De Morgan, in Correspondent of Oct. 28, 1865.
- n. The commemoration or celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event, as the birth of a great man: as, the centenary of Burns; the centenary of the Constitution of the United States.
- n. A centenarian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years
- n. the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it)
Latin centēnārius, of a hundred, from centum, hundred; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Attested since about 1790, from Late Latin centenarius ("of one hundred"), from Latin centeni ("one hundred each") (from centum ("hundred")) + -arius. (Wiktionary)