American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a 100-year period.
- adj. Occurring once every 100 years.
- n. A 100-year period.
- n. A centennial.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or consisting of a hundred; relating to a period of a hundred years; recurring once in every hundred years: as, a centenary festival or celebration.
- n. pl. centenaries (-riz).
- n. The space of a hundred years.
- n. What I call by this name has grown up in the last centenary — a word I may use to signify the hundred years now ending. De Morgan, in Correspondent of Oct. 28, 1865.
- n. The commemoration or celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event, as the birth of a great man: as, the centenary of Burns; the centenary of the Constitution of the United States.
- n. A centenarian.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or completing a period of 100 years.
- n. A one hundredth anniversary
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Relating to, or consisting of, a hundred.
- adj. Occurring once in every hundred years; centennial.
- n. The aggregate of a hundred single things; specifically, a century.
- n. A commemoration or celebration of an event which occurred a hundred years before.
- adj. of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years
- n. the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it)
- Attested since about 1790, from Late Latin centenarius ("of one hundred"), from Latin centeni ("one hundred each") (from centum ("hundred")) + -arius. (Wiktionary)
- Latin centēnārius, of a hundred, from centum, hundred; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The bridge, restored for its centenary, is a worthy contribution to future tourism in Durango state.”
“The Carter centenary is accelerating into the homestretch.”
“Our thoughts today go also to Stockholm, where the other awards are being made, and where the centenary is being marked of the death of Alfred”
“As we approach our centenary, which is five years from now, we must constantly remind ourselves of the historical truth and act on its basis, that for our movement to continue to live and to lead into and during the second century of its fighting existence, it must remain a movement of the people - Lekgotla la Sechaba, Umbutho we Sizwe!”
“Denis Thatcher scrawled back: 'J.C. [Jesus Christ] What I do for the Party!', adding: 'The same evening I was going to attend probably the best Rugby Football Dinner this year, namely the centenary of the Middlesex RFU.”
“The centenary is a perfect time to celebrate and we are embarking on an imaginative range of projects to make sure 2009 is truly memorable.”
“Celebrating PayPal's 'centenary' - Paypal business model analysis”
“Mandeville, why don't you get up a "centenary" of Socrates, and put up his statue in the Central Park?”
“A sea of happy faces - spot the 'centenary' ducks!”
“The same evening I was going to attend probably the best Rugby Football Dinner this year, namely the centenary of the Middlesex RFU.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘centenary’.
Yet more spelling words for intermediate to advanced spellers.
one hundredth; hundred
Favorite time-related words.
Words gathered while reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
relating to; like; thing/person connected to
Looking for tweets for centenary.