from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to an age or period of 100 years.
- adj. Occurring once every 100 years: a centennial commemoration.
- adj. Of or relating to a 100th anniversary.
- n. A 100th anniversary or a celebration of it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The 100th anniversary of an event or happening.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or associated with, the commemoration of an event that happened a hundred years before.
- adj. Happening once in a hundred years.
- adj. Lasting or aged a hundred years.
- n. The celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event; a centenary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of or lasting a hundred years; completing a hundred years: as, a centennial epoch; the centennial year.
- Existing for a century or more.
- Happening every hundred years; relating to or marking a centenary: as, a centennial celebration.
- n. The commemoration or celebration of an event which occurred a hundred years before: as, the centennial of American independence.
- n. A dice game in which the object is to secure pips, or multiples of pips, which will make the figures from 1 to 12, and then from 12 to 1, in numerical order.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years
- n. the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it)
Latin centum, hundred; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots + (bi)ennial.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin centum hundred + annus year + -al (Wiktionary)