from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Made up of four parts.
- adj. Being one of four parts.
- adj. Occurring or appearing at three-month intervals: a quarterly magazine; a quarterly payment.
- adj. Heraldry Having four sections. Used of a shield.
- n. A publication issued regularly every three months.
- n. An examination given regularly every three months in some colleges.
- adv. In or by quarters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Occurring once every quarter year (three months).
- adv. Once every quarter year (three months).
- n. A periodical publication that appears four times per year.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Containing, or consisting of, a fourth part.
- adj. Recurring during, or at the end of, each quarter
- n. A periodical work published once a quarter, or four times in a year.
- adv. By quarters; once in a quarter of a year.
- adv. In quarters, or quarterings; ; in four or more parts; -- said of a shield thus divided by lines drawn through it at right angles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing or consisting of a fourth part.
- Recurring at the end of every quarter of the year: as, quarterly payments of rent; a quarterly visitation or examination.
- n. A publication or literary periodical issued once every three months.
- In quarters; by quarters.
- Once in a quarter of a year: as, the returns are made quarterly.
- In heraldry: Arranged according to the four quarters of the shield.
- Arranged according to quartering, even when more than four divisions exist: as, he bears quarterly of twelve. Compare quartering, 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or consisting of a quarter
- n. a periodical that is published every quarter (or four issues per year)
- adv. in three month intervals
- adv. in diagonally opposed quarters of an escutcheon
quarter + -ly (Wiktionary)