from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Compositions traditionally intended for performance in a private room or small concert hall and written for an instrumental ensemble, such as a trio or quartet, with one player for each part.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A genre of classical music written for a small group of instruments
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. vocal or instrumental music adapted to performance in a chamber or small apartment or audience room, instead of a theater, concert hall, or church.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Music, either instrumental or vocal, which is specially suited for performance in a small room: opposed to concert-music, and also to church music and operatic music.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. serious music performed by a small group of musicians
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.