from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who applauds.
- n. The tongue of a bell.
- n. Slang The tongue of a garrulous person.
- n. Two flat pieces of wood held between the fingers and struck together rhythmically.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An object so suspended inside a bell that it may hit the bell and cause it to ring.
- n. A wooden mechanical device used as a scarecrow; bird-scaring rattle, a wind-rattle or a wind-clapper.
- v. To ring a bell by pulling a rope attached to the clapper.
- n. A rabbit burrow.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person who claps.
- n. That which strikes or claps, as the tongue of a bell, or the piece of wood that strikes a mill hopper, etc. See Illust. of Bell.
- n. A rabbit burrow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something which claps or strikes with a loud, sharp noise.
- n. The cover of a clack-dish.
- n. The piece of wood or metal which strikes the hopper of a mill.
- n. In medieval churches, a wooden rattle used as a summons to prayers on the last three days of Holy Week, when it was customary for the church bells to remain silent. Also called clap.
- n. A clack or windmill for frightening birds.
- n. plural Pieces of wood or bone to be held between the fingers and struck together rhythmically; the bones.
- n. The knocker of a door.
- n. One who claps, especially one who applauds by clapping the hands.
- n. A clack-valve.
- n. plural A pair of iron plates used to hold fine steel springs while being hardened.
- n. A plank laid across a running stream as a substitute for a bridge.
- n. plural Warrenpales or -walls.
- n. The tongue.
- To clap; make a clattering noise.
- n. See claper.
- n. In botany, the auricle in hepatics. See auricle, 3 .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who applauds
- n. metal striker that hangs inside a bell and makes a sound by hitting the side
- n. a mobile mass of muscular tissue covered with mucous membrane and located in the oral cavity
clap + -er (Wiktionary)
French clapier. (Wiktionary)