from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To play a jazz accompaniment, as on a piano or guitar.
- n. Informal Something, such as a theater ticket or a book, given free of charge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A competition.
- n. A comprehensive school
- n. A complimentary ticket or item
- n. A comparable.
- n. A computer, especially a desktop computer
- n. Compensation.
- n. A composite, a composition
- n. A comptroller.
- n. A comprehensive examination.
- n. A compile.
- n. A compilation.
- v. To accompany, in music
- v. To compose (a visual design); to make a composite.
- v. To provide (a complimentary item, such as a ticket,) to (someone).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An abbreviation of compare, comparative, composition, and compound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an intensive examination testing a student's proficiency in some special field of knowledge
Orton's stats against Wash DC comp attt tot yds comp% long TDs INTs Rating
[*] One of the king's special body-guard, from which comes the title comp, count.
All to often design decisions have to be made after the comp is approved.
Congress needs to join me in supporting what we call comp time and flextime to help American families better juggle the demands of work and home.
If you did miss the fact that the comp is closed, and tried to enter after the fact, I am sorry.
My comp is blocking or not showing this image. pfft.
It was always taken a lot more seriously in comp lit departments than actual philosophy deparments (where the attitude seemed largely to be: “Oh, look at the English majors playing at philosophy!”) and seems to have run out of steam even there.
Anywho, the comp is totally rad, with contributions from the Burnside Project, the Besties, Dirty on Purpose, Fur Cups for Teeth, White Magic and Panda Bear among (many) others.
But the song on our comp is from several years ago, and the band has grown by leaps and bounds since then.
In a previous post, I discussed why, almost no matter how broken it is, workers comp is still better than an alternate world without it.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.