from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anatomy The shaft of a long bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The central shaft of any long bone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An abnormal prolongation of the axis of inflorescence.
- n. The shaft, or main part, of a bone, which is first ossified.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, an abnormal elongation of the axis of a flower or of an inflorescence; a form of prolification.
- n. In anatomy, the continuity of a bone between its two ends; the shaft of a long bone, as distinguished from its epiphyses or apophyses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the main (mid) section of a long bone
Greek diaphusis, spinous process of the tibia, from diaphuesthai, to grow between : dia-, dia- + phuesthai, to grow, middle voice of phuein.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)