from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is the eldest or senior member of a group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A commander in charge of ten men.
- n. The senior, or eldest male member of a group.
- n. A leading light, or exemplar of a particular practice or movement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Lit., a dean; the senior member of a body or group.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is the senior member of a group
Probably French, from Old French doien, from Late Latin decānus, chief of ten; see dean.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French doyen, from Latin decānus from Greek δεκανός. Compare dean. (Wiktionary)