from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music A free composition structured according to the composer's fancy. Also called fantasy.
- n. Music A medley of familiar themes, with variations and interludes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unstructured orchestral composition.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A continuous composition, not divided into what are called movements, or governed by the ordinary rules of musical design, but in which the author's fancy roves unrestricted by set form.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music: Originally, any instrumental piece.
- n. Any composition not in strict form or style, particularly when somewhat capricious.
- n. An irregular composition, consisting of well-known airs arranged with interludes and florid decorations, similar to a potpourri.
- n. Also fantasy, phantasy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a musical composition of a free form usually incorporating several familiar themes
Italian, from Latin phantasia, fantasy; see fantasy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)