from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that fishes, as a person or ship engaged in fishing.
- n. A carnivorous mammal (Martes pennanti) of northern North America, having thick, dark-brown fur. Also called pekan, wejack.
- n. The fur of this animal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or ship that is engaged in fishing.
- n. A North American marten that has thick brown fur, Martes pennanti.
- n. The fur of this animal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who fishes.
- n. A carnivorous animal of the Weasel family (Mustela Canadensis); the pekan; the “black cat.”
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose occupation or sport is the catching of fish; a fisherman.
- n. The pekan, wejack, black-cat, or Pennant's marten, Mustela pennanti of Erxleben (1777), M. canadensis of Schreber (1778), the largest North American carnivorous quadruped of the family Mustelidæ and subfamily Mustelinæ with the exception of the wolverene: so called from its habit of catching fish.
- n. plural In ornithology, specifically, the Piscatores, Totipalmati, or Steganopodes. E. Blyth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone whose occupation is catching fish
- n. large dark brown North American arboreal carnivorous mammal
"Why, because a fisher is a kind of a Spartan animal, while he is about his business."
Geez, I am releasing fish and this fisher is eating them.
T'was a fisher from the upper midwestwho's wife had at least a double-D chestwhich to see in bikinicould grow a zucchiniin the lap of a 90-year-old guest
If any of you have read any of his interviews you'd see he'd like to do something other than a zombie peice but he's been just as jaded as carrie fisher is to star wars as he is to his zombies.
In fact, in the river/trout world, I've long thought a great fly fisher is way more deadly than the lure fisher.
So far concerning him; but as regards the Caliph, Shaykh Ibrahim stared to him (and he still in fisher garb) and said, “O vilest of fishermen, thou hast brought us a couple of fish worth a score of half-dirhams,63 and hast gotten three dinars for them; and thinkest thou to take the damsel to boot?”
AnnaLynne will be the 'fisher' - an 'exceptional, unforgettable' beauty who uses her overwhelming class and charms to bait humans and hand deliver them to the rest of the Volturi vampires.
Did not read all the ay to end, but this is really called a fisher cat…a wild jungle cat that lives in S.
When we got into the boat, to my astonishment, Oscar began calling the fisher boy by his name; evidently he knew him quite well.
* He was called the fisher of men and the lamb of God.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.