from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Light produced by burning illuminating gas.
- n. A gas burner or lamp.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The light produced by burning piped illuminating gas.
- n. A lamp which operates by burning gas.
- v. To manipulate someone psychologically such that they question their own sanity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The light yielded by the combustion of illuminating gas.
- n. A gas jet or burner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Light, or a provision for light, produced by the combustion of coal-gas; a gas-jet, or the light from it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. light yielded by the combustion of illuminating gas
gas + light. The verb sense derives from the 1938 stage play Gas Light, in which a husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment. (Wiktionary)