American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person who is trained and skilled in gymnastics, especially one who engages in competition.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is skilled in athletic exercises; one who is expert in or is a teacher of gymnastics.
- n. One who performs gymnastics
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who teaches or practices gymnastic exercises; the manager of a gymnasium; an athlete.
- n. an athlete who is skilled in gymnastics
- From Ancient Greek γυμναστής (gumnastēs, "trainer of athletes"), from γυμνάζω (gumnazō, "I train naked, exercise"), from γυμνός (gumnos, "naked") (Wiktionary)
- French gymnaste, from Greek gumnastēs, trainer of professional athletes, from gumnazein, to exercise; see gymnasium. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This level of analysis will tell you a compact gymnast is favored and a good baseball pitcher is usually tall.”
“(Larissa Latynina, a gymnast from the Soviet Union in the 1950s and '60s, won 18 medals overall, nine golds).”
“Obama has the same qualities as a certain Chinese gymnast I know of.”
“A stand-in gymnast who did multiple back flips to represent Brundle’s increased mutant strength at the start of Act II received a big round of applause as well.”
“More importantly than the return of Grace Taylor the gymnast was the return of Grace Taylor the person.”
“You might not necessarily guess it unless you knew, but one who performs gymnastics is in fact a "gymnast" and not a "gymnist.”
“CONTROVERSY: Age of Chinese gymnast stirs more talk”
“Carter's ability to make the spectacular catch — he possessed hands seemingly lined with Velcro and the body control of an Olympic gymnast — also set him apart and made him a favored target of such players as Cunningham and Moon during the course of his career.”
“For Amalya Knapp, a competitive gymnast, her Orthodox Jewish family's staunch commitment to upholding their traditions by observing Sabbath without competition cost her.”
“Amalya said she wants one day to be an Olympic gymnast.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gymnast’.
Looking for tweets for gymnast.